When Thanksgiving ends, you don’t have to throw away, or even give away, all of your leftover goodies.
Try these “recipes with a twist” and enjoy a healthy alternative to your favorite Thanksgiving dishes.
A 3 ounce portion of skinless turkey breast contains about 125 calories. Turkey is low in fat and is an excellent source of protein.
- 1 ½ T fresh lemon juice
- 1 ½ T fresh orange juice
- ¼ t ground cumin
- 1/8 t hot chili powder
- 1 T fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 T fat-free sour cream
- 2 cups cooked leftover turkey, chopped
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1 cup drained/rinsed black beans
- ½ cup salsa
- Lettuce, low-fat cheese, and avocado for toppings & garnish
- Use a whisk to mix the first 6 ingredients. Toss with the turkey and set aside.
- Heat the tortillas according to packaging.
- Spoon ¼ cup turkey mixture onto each tortilla. Top with black beans, salsa and the remaining garnishes.
- Fold tortilla, serve and enjoy!
Cranberries are an excellent source of vitamin C, fiber, and are rich in disease-fighting antioxidants.
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 banana
- ½ cup frozen mixed berries
- ½ cup fresh leftover cranberries (or sauce)
- Blend almond milk, banana, mixed berries and cranberries in a blender until smooth.
- Refrigerate until chilled, serve and enjoy!
Crust-less Vegetable Quiche
Vegetables are rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. Use this recipe as a guide, and add any of your favorite leftover vegetables like green beans or corn.
1 ½ cups squash, sliced
1 ½ cups zucchini, sliced
1 large orange bell pepper, chopped
2 gloves garlic, chopped
1 T ground thyme
3 egg whites
¾ cup low fat milk
2/3 cup low-fat shredded cheese
2 T grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350degrees F. Spray a 9 inch pie pan with nonstick spray.
- Heat leftover vegetables in a large skillet until heated through. Add garlic and thyme, salt and pepper to taste.
- In large bowl, whisk the eggs, egg whites, milk, and salt and pepper until combined.
- Arrange vegetables into the prepared pan. Top with cheese and then pour the egg mixture on top. Sprinkle with parmesan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!