Not only is February American Heart Month, it’s also a great time to check in our New Year’s resolutions. Sticking to our eating and workout plans can be tough, even just a few weeks into the new year, but don’t lose your momentum now!
Keep these 6 simple reminders on your desk at work, and you’ll be sure to stay focused on your post-workday workout goals…all year long.
- Hydrate: Drink water throughout the day and especially before, during and after physical activity.
- Fuel Up: When your energy is starting to lag towards the end of the day, snack on healthy carbs like vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Fight Fatigue: Walk around the office and be sure to take the steps whenever you can. Taking breaks throughout the day to stand and stretch will help you feel rejuvenated, too.
- Eat for Energy: In order to be ready for your after-work sweat sesh, stay away from saturated fats or excessive amounts of protein throughout the day. They digest more slowly and can take away oxygen and energy-delivering blood from your muscles.
- Don’t Wait: Make it a habit to go right from work or school to your workout or activity. If you stop at home, you may be tempted to skip it. (Pack your spin bag the night before!)
- Refuel: Refuel after your workouts with lean protein, healthy carbs and plenty of water so your body can recover more quickly.
Try this heart healthy spicy chicken dish, packed full of lean protein, to refuel your body after your post-workday workout!
- Cooking spray
- 4 chicken breast halves, (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/2 t ground cumin
- 2 t olive oil
- 1/4 cup mild picante sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 cup uncooked, instant brown rice
- 1/4 t ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 t salt
- 2 T light sour cream
- 2 T snipped, fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly spray an 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put the chicken in the baking
dish. Sprinkle with the cumin, drizzle with the oil and spoon the picante sauce on top. Using the
back of a spoon, spread the sauce evenly over the chicken.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine and adding the turmeric. Stir in the salt.
- To serve, spoon the rice onto plates. Place the chicken beside the rice. Spoon the sauce over
all. Top the chicken with the sour cream and cilantro.